Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Muffins

So there's been a few requests for these little guys, and even though I actually made them last week, I'm finally getting around to posting the recipe.

Step 1: 


Ingredients:
1/2 cup roasted sweet potatos. You can boil or microwave them if you're in a hurry, but roasting is the way to get those natural sugars going. I used the orange sweet potatoes in this one, and they're a lot less sweet than the purple Japanese potatoes. I also peeled here, but I've tried unpeeled, and you get a more "whole wheat" taste.
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
A few pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg
Fruit, nuts or whatever else you want to throw in, on or around.
1-2 tbs. Stevia or other non-sugar sweetener (optional) I don't bother, but if you like you're muffins sweeter, Stevia is apparently approved by the Paleo Police.

Step 2:


Throw everything in a food processor, blender, mixer or kick it old school and mix by hand until smooth. Some recipes call for a runny-ass batter, but I've had way, way better results with a thick as mud consistancy.

Step 3:


Use a clean spoon if you're a delicate flower, or your filthy hand like a real man (or really real woman), and scoop out some big balls of batter. I used the muffin paper cup things because I'm a lazy bastard and don't like washing up. They also transport better, and with that raspberry I stuck on the top of each one, showing these to family, friends and co-workers makes you like like a damned pro-fessional!

Step 4:


Bake at 180 C or 350 F for 20+ minutes, or until you can stick a fork/knife/toothpick in the middle and withdraw without taking any gooey muffin guts with it (and people say 'pulling out' doesnt work. Rubbish!). These things do take a bit longer to cook than flour based muffins, I suspect due to the lack of gluten holding things together.

Let them cool, and eat them up!

- Mr. Paleoporean

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Will try receipe tomorrow with orange or sliced apples. Ta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine were very good, I put 1 TBSP of fresh squeezed orange juice for extra flavor and chopped up orange into the batter. I can hardly wait to make another batch but have to buy some almond flour actually meal before I do (can't find almond flour anywhere) but have found almond milk now so that is a plus. I'll try making some cookies next time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi i am a singaporean as well, where to buy the almond flour from the red man shop as well?

    ReplyDelete